We receive frequent questions from customers asking about the differences between silicone dolls and TPE dolls, what material is best and what doll should they buy. In this post we are going to try to bring more light to this question, we will analyze the differences between silicone and TPE as materials used to make realistic love dolls.
Sex doll makers have been experimenting with different materials looking for the finest and more realistic look and feel. Traditionally, silicone has been used by love doll manufacturers because of the realistic texture and feel-like real touch. The problem with silicone is that it makes the doll to be more expensive as high grade or medical grade silicone is an expensive material. A few years ago, Chinese manufacturers started experimenting with other materials in order to be able to make more affordable doll but still maintaining a high degree of quality and realism in sex dolls. TPE has become the most popular material used by Chinese manufacturers and some of the most realistic and demanded dolls are made on TPE.
What is TPE?
Commonly referred to as thermoplastic rubber, it is a class of copolymers or a physical mix of polymers (usually a plastic and a rubber) made of materials with both thermoplastic and elastomeric properties.
TPE is used in every day products because it can be injected and molded in products that require the use of rubber. We are sure that you can find this material in some of the products in your home. It is more affordable than silicone and it has properties such as flexibility, molding ability, soft texture
The TPE properties make this material one of the best options to make realistic sex dolls at an affordable price point.
Positive aspects of a TPE doll:
- Great quality/price ratio. In general, TPE dolls are more affordable than silicone dolls and still offer a great quality
- Lifelike and quite realistic appearances
- TPE is more flexible, squeezable and softer, allowing doll lovers to position their dolls in more postures
- It retains warmth, but not too much heat
- Hypoallergenic and odorless
Negative aspects of a TPE doll:
- It might get stains easier
- It is a porous material so cleaning is more difficult and it cannot be sterilized
- Quality, flexibility, thickness, etc. depend on the mixture or blend that the manufacturer uses, so it varies by manufacturers
Is for these reasons, that it is very important to use a TPE sex doll from a reputable manufacturer that uses a good mixture and that has good reviews and demonstrated quality of products in the market. We are aware of this and we have partnered with the best TPE manufacturers backed by thousands of great reviews in the sex doll community.
What is Silicone?
Silicone is used for soft sex toys, due to its durability, cleanability, non-degradation by petroleum-based lubricants. It is a mixture of silicon polymer together with carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. The sex toy and sex doll industry has been using silicone for many years.
Sex dolls use silicone rubber and can be very soft of very firm, depending on the formula. Since silicone has very hot resistance properties, you can find silicone dolls with heat systems incorporated, as these dolls can be heated for a longer period of time. r.
Positive aspects of a silicone doll:
- It usually have the most realistic anus, vaginas and other customized body parts
- It can be heated and can incorporate integrated heat systems
- It is a non-porous material, so it can be easier to clean and to sterilize. It is hypoallergenic (similar to TPE)
- It is supposed to resist better to water and stains
- It feel realistic and soft
Negative aspects of a silicone doll:
- It usually is more expensive, especially in bigger size models
- For some customers silicone can be sticky, so it is recommended the use of baby powder
- It feels thicker and less soft than TPE. These dolls usually are more rigid
- Some customers argue that silicone is less durable than TPE, although easier to maintain